Monday, 30 January 2017

Quebec City mosque shooting: Six killed, eight wounded

At least 'six people have been killed and another eight wounded in a shooting at a mosque in Quebec City, Canada, police say. Shots were fired at the Quebec Islamic Cultural Centre on Sunday night, where more than 50 people had gathered for evening prayers', according to reports from BBC

'One suspect was arrested at the scene and another was arrested nearby. Police do not believe there are other suspects at large.
The Canadian authorities are treating the shooting as a terror attack."We condemn this terrorist attack on Muslims in a center of worship and refuge," Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said in a statement', the report further states.
"Muslim-Canadians are an important part of our national fabric, and these senseless acts have no place in our communities, cities and country."The president of the mosque, Mohamed Yangui - who was not inside at the time - said the shooting had happened in the men's section of the mosque.
"Why is this happening here? This is barbaric," he said.On its Facebook page the centre thanked the public "for the hundreds of messages of compassion".
In June last year the same mosque was the target of an Islamophobic incident when a pig's head was left in front of the building, with a card saying "bonne appetit". Eating pork is forbidden in Islam'